German Chocolate Cake Truffles
German Chocolate Cake
- 1 prepared German Chocolate Cake, (you can use your favorite recipe or from a box) baked, cooled, and crumbled
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flaked coconut (toasted if desired)
- 1 3/4 cups pecans
- 1 1/2 pounds milk chocolate, finely chopped
- Additional coconut, for decorating
- Additional chopped pecans, for decorating
- Prepare cake according to package or recipe instructions, then set aside to cool.
- For frosting, combine evaporated milk, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, egg yolks, and salt in a saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat using a heat resistant spatula or a wire whisk until thickened.
- Add coconut and pecans and stir to combine. Allow to cool in a refrigerator or chill on an ice bath if needed immediately.
- To assemble, in a large bowl, use your hands to crumble cake into small crumbs. Spoon coconut pecan frosting into bowl and stir until mixture is well-combined.
- Use a small scoop to scoop even size balls of dough. Roll dough between your palms until round like a ball. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, and refrigerate or freeze for 1 hour.
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it until melted, stirring every 20 seconds to prevent overheating.
- Using a fork, submerge a cake ball in melted chocolate. Gently tap fork on side of bowl to remove excess coating. Replace dipped truffle on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Top each truffle with a sprinkle of coconut and chopped pecans. Repeat with remaining cake balls.
- Refrigerate truffles to set coating, about 15 minutes. Truffles are best served at room temperature, but must be stored in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Amy Nash from @houseofnasheats.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments