German Chocolate Cookies
- 2 ounces German chocolate, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt German chocolate over low heat, or in microwave on low power in 30 second intervals. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk flour, cocoa and baking powder together.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy and thoroughly combined. Add in egg, vanilla and melted chocolate; mix well.
- On low speed, add flour mixture in 2 additions, scraping down bottom and sides of bowl as needed. Once flour is incorporated, wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a rolling surface by combining flour and natural cocoa. Roll dough with a rolling pin coated in same mixture and cut with a round 3.5” cookie cutter. (If dough is too stiff, let it sit at room temperature before rolling.)
- Place cut outs onto prepared sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until done. Cool on pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar and egg yolks. Add in butter and evaporated milk. Cook over medium-low to medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until thickened.
If chunks of egg are visible in the cooked mixture, pour through a fine mesh sieve before adding remaining ingredients.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to spread.
- Top each cookie with a spoonful of the icing, spreading almost to edges.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.