Ginger Grapefruit Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons dried ginger
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine grated grapefruit zest, no white bitter pith
- 3/4 cup grapefruit juice, do not discard grapefruit peel
- 1/4 cup candied ginger
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 or 10-inch tube pan or a bundt pan. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and ginger together. Set aside.
- In a stand or hand held mixer using paddle attachment, mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix well.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for the previous added egg to be fully incorporated and mixture regains a smooth look.
- Add salt and grapefruit zest.
- Alternately add flour mixture and grapefruit juice in 5 steps, starting with and ending with flour. Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven. After 15 minutes in oven reduce temperature to 325°F.
- Bake until center of the cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. If cakes becomes too dark before being done, cover cake with a lightly butter piece of foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before turning upside down on a serving platter.
- Prepare the glaze by combining grapefruit juice and powdered sugar, cover with plastic food wrap and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife remove outer zest from grapefruit peel. Ensure that only a minimum of white bitter pith is still on zest.
- Bring sugar, water and honey to boil. Add grapefruit peel and cover with a lid. Simmer on very low for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Brush cake with glaze and decorate with candied ginger and grapefruit zest.