Ginger Kabocha (Chao Nan Gua) Crème Brulee
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- In a double boiler, bring heavy cream, granulated sugar and chopped fresh ginger to a gentle simmer, being careful not to reach a boil.
- Dissolve sugar completely into cream. Strain fresh ginger pieces and discard.
- Beat egg yolks until light in color. Add kabocha squash puree, vanilla bean and grated candied ginger. Whisk in cream and sugar mixture.
- Divide among six standard sized ramekins in a warm water bath and bake for approximately 35 to 40 minutes, removing ramekins when mixture is mostly set but still jiggles slightly in center.
- Remove ramekins from water bath and refrigerate until completely cooled - at least three hours or overnight.
- To serve, sprinkle each ramekin with 1 tablespoon each turbinado sugar and caramelize with a culinary torch until sugar melts and reaches a hard, glossy finish. Serve immediately.
Dixie Crystals Insight
This recipe is a sweet play on Chao Nan Gua, a savory Taiwanese dish consisting of kabocha squash sauteed with fresh ginger.