- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar or Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups whole raw almonds, non-toasted
- 1 bag (12 oz) white chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Small dark chocolate bar (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Pour both sugars in a bowl and add melted butter and salt.
- Beat eggs until well combined and then add rapidly into above. Add vanilla extract and all spices.
- Place dough in freezer for about 15 minutes to make it easier to handle.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Place parchment paper on a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Shape dough into logs about 10 inches long. Place well-spaced apart on cookie sheet. If dough is sticky while handling, make your hands slightly wet to prevent sticking. Do not use flour.
- Place in oven until center is set, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Meanwhile reduce oven temperature to 275°F.
- Using a serrated knife cut logs diagonally into 1/2-inch slices and place on cookie sheet with a small amount of space in between.
- Return to oven until cookies are nearly crisp about 25 minutes. Once cold, cookies will become completely crisp.
- Place 3/4 of chocolate in a bowl and place over very low simmering water. Bowl of chocolate cannot touch water. Add oil and stir until almost all chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and add remaining chocolate. Stir until melted.
- Dip biscotti partly in chocolate.
- If desired, using a grater, grate dark chocolate over biscotti while white chocolate has not solidified yet.