Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, as needed
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Combine milk, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, and active dry yeast in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes until foamy.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining brown sugar, eggs, molasses, butter, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and 1 cup of flour until combined. Add yeast and milk mixture once it is foamy and mix well.
- Continue to add flour, 1 cup at a time, switching to dough hook and kneading for 5-7 minutes to form a soft, smooth dough. Add remaining 1/2 cup of flour if needed.
- Scrape dough into a clean, oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and softened butter. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Turn risen dough out onto a generously floured surface. Roll or press out dough with a floured rolling pin or floured hands to prevent sticking to form a large 10 X 16-inch rectangle.
- Spread filling evenly over dough. Roll from long edge into a tight log.
- Use a sharp knife, a thin string, or piece of unflavored dental floss, cut dough into 12 evenly-sized rolls. Transfer to a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting.
- Make frosting by beating butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl with a hand mixer until creamy and smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Beat again. Add enough heavy cream to get desired consistency.
- Spread frosting over slightly cooled rolls. Serve warm.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Amy Nash from @houseofnasheats.