- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup, divided Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, one teaspoon of cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and remaining one teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add molasses, egg, and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and mix until fully combined.
- Roll one heaping tablespoon of dough into balls and toss in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches for spreading.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until edges are just set. Be careful not to over bake. While warm and just out of the oven, sprinkle tops of cookies with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Let rest on cookie sheets for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.