Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, Dutch process only
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts or sliced almonds
- 5 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites, no traces of egg yolk
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Finishing Cake
- Double recipe: Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts or almonds
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Butter sides of pan and set aside.
- Combine cocoa powder and almonds in a blender or small food processor. Mix until almonds have consistency as cornmeal. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla extract for at least 8 minutes or until fluffy as hair mousse. Set aside.
- In a spotless clean bowl whip egg whites and sugar until a firm peaked meringue has formed, about 10 minutes.
- Stop mixing and using a rubber spatula fold egg yolk mixture delicately into meringue. When nearly all yellow streaks have disappeared fold in cocoa powder-nut mixture.
- Spread batter with a metal offset spatula evenly onto prepared pan.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle generously with confectioner’s sugar and cover with a large piece of parchment paper. Turn upside down onto parchment and work surface and let cool.
- Do not remove parchment paper which the cake was baked on just yet. Using a ruler and a serrated knife, cut cake crosswise into 5 equal pieces. Use a zigzag motion to cut thru parchment.
- Lift up one of 5 pieces and place on a serving tray. Remove parchment and spread with one fifth of ganache.
- Cover with another piece of cake, remove paper and cover with another one fifth of ganache. Keep repeating until all cake and ganache is used.
- Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts or toasted almonds and raspberries.