Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- 1 cup warm milk or gluten & dairy free milk substitute
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant baking yeast (NOT fast acting)
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour blend* (see recipe for blend below)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more pan
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix cider vinegar, sugar and yeast into milk. Set aside while assembling remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil a 14" pizza pan.
- In bowl of mixer, whisk together brown rice flour blend, baking powder, salt, xanthan or guar gum together, mixing well.
- Add yeast mixture and olive oil to flour blend. Beat on low until combined, scraping down bowl as needed. Beat at medium-high speed for 3 minutes. Dough will be very thick and sticky.
- Scrape dough onto oiled pan. Starting at the center of the dough using well oiled hands, pat dough into a 14" circle.
- Let dough raise for 20 minutes. Add your favorite toppings. Bake in a 400°F oven for about 20 minutes, depending on the toppings you have chosen. The crust will be golden and cooked through and toppings melted and bubbly.
Margherita Pizza Toppings: Spread tomato sauce of choice on pizza dough and top with grated mozzarella or dairy free mozzarella substitute. Bake as directed above., Top with fresh basil leaves and serve.
Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour Blend: To make blend, combine 5 cups finely ground brown rice flour (or half brown rice and half white rice flour), 1 cup sourghum flour (or more brown rice flour), 3 cups potato starch or corn starch and 1 cup tapioca starch, and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum. Whisk well, and store in a sealed container. Stir before using in recipe.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angela Litzinger @Angela's Kitchen.