Gluten Free White Cupcakes with Raspberry Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free brown rice flour blend* (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup mild tasting oil
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk or unsweetened milk substitute of choice
- Rasberry Frosting
- 1/3 cup fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 16 ounces Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
- 1/4 cup shortening
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Whisk together gluten free flour blend, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, mix sugar, oil and egg whites until combined. Scrape down mixing bowl with a spatula then blend on medium-high speed for one minute until frothy. Add half of gluten free flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Add vanilla and milk or milk substitute, mixing just until combined, and repeat with remaining gluten free flour mixture. Scrape down mixing bowl, if needed.
- Scoop cake batter into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 full. Bake in 350°F oven for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Place cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make Raspberry Frosting: In a blender or food processor, blend raspberries until smooth. Strain raspberries through a fine meshed strainer to remove seeds. Using whisk attachment of mixer, cream butter or dairy free margarine and until light and fluffy. Sift powdered sugar. Add sifted powdered sugar and 3/4 teaspoon gluten free vanilla to butter mixture and blend until combined.
- Adding one tablespoon of strained raspberry puree at a time, mixing well between each addition, until frosting is desired consistency. Top cupcakes with fresh raspberries, if desired.
To make ahead: Bake cupcakes as directed and cool completely. Place unfrosted cupcakes in resealable plastic freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. Freeze up to 2 months. To use, keep cupcakes in bag and allow to thaw at room temperature. Prepare frosting as directed. Frost cupcakes.
To bake a 8" or 9" round cake: Oil bottom of a 8" to 9" round cake pan before pouring batter into pan. Bake at for about 25 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour Blend: To make blend, combine 5 cups finely ground brown rice flour (or half brown rice and half white rice flour), 1 cup sourghum flour (or more brown rice flour), 3 cups potato starch or corn starch and 1 cup tapioca starch, and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum. Whisk well, and store in a sealed container. Stir before using in recipe.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angela Litzinger @Angela's Kitchen.