Graham Cracker Snacks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups whole wheat flour*
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 - 5 bananas
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts (baking /nut section grocery store)
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With exception of whole wheat flour combine all dry ingredients and sift together. Stir in whole wheat flour and set aside.
- Using a mixer cream butter and sugar until well combined. Add molasses and vanilla extract.
- Add half of dry ingredients and when almost combined add half of milk and combine. Repeat with dry ingredients and milk.
- Press dough 1/4 inch thick on a cookie sheet lined with plastic food film and place in refrigerator until firm enough to be rolled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Use half of dough at a time, press piece of dough briefly together to form a ball. Sprinkle work surface with all purpose flour and roll dough about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a knife or pastry/pizza wheel cut into rectangles of desired size. Place on parchment lined cookies sheets about 1/4 inches apart. Dock with a fork.
- Place in oven and bake until the surface is golden brown, about 13-15 minutes. Once cooled store airtight.
- Spread a spoonful of ganache on Graham crackers, top with a banana slice and sprinkle with a few toasted hazelnut pieces.
NOTE: Making your own Graham crackers is well worth the effort. You can substitute peanut butter or hazelnut spread if you are not a chocolate lover.