Grasshopper Fudge Poke Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup vodka or mint liquor
- 1 teaspoon mint extract (omit if using mint liquor)
- Green food color (optional)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 9 oz, 55- 65% chocolate, preferably in bar, cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Few mint leaves
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch square cake pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper and line bottom of pan and set aside. Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- Separate eggs, making sure that no egg yolk enters egg whites as egg whites do not whip when traces of yolk are present.
- In bowl whip egg yolks for 1 minute. Add first listed 2 tablespoons sugar and whip until mixture is light in color and makes thick ribbons, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In separate bowl whip egg whites, second listed 3 tablespoons sugar and cream of tartar on medium speed to soft medium peaks. Using a hand-held spatula fold whipped egg whites into whipped egg yolk mixture. Do not overfold to prevent the mixture from collapsing.
- Add 1/2 of flour and gently fold until incorporated. Add remaining flour and combine ensuring a light mixture. Scrape in pan and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 33-37 minutes.
- In a saucepan boil water and sugar. Allow to get cold before adding liquor. Add liquor and mint extract if using. If desired, add a few drops of green food color. Set aside.
- Bring to a boil first listed whipping cream and 6 tablespoons sugar. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in chocolate and butter and whisk smooth. Set aside.
- Place cake on a serving tray and spoon mint syrup evenly over surface. You will have to go over several times before it is all absorbed. Make sure to use it all.
- Once chocolate mixture is the consistency of sour cream (chilling briefly may be necessary) spread it evenly over the surface.
- Whip remaining cream and 1 tablespoon sugar to medium peaks and spoon onto cake.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped mint leaves.