Halloween Sugar Cookies
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter until very light and creamy. Add sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and salt and beat until very well combined.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together and add in one step to above. Mix until dough forms. Do not overmix.
- For cutout cookies, chill dough until thoroughly firm, even if it takes an hour or overnight in the fridge. Roll dough on a surface that was pre-chilled by placing a cookie sheet filled with ice cubes for 15 minutes or more on the surface - or roll dough on a lightly floured kitchen towel. Cut into shapes and place on parchment or lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 minutes until edges just begin to brown. Be careful not to over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare our Halloween Frosting and frost cookies once cool.
For decorating tips, visit our friend Bridget Edwards' Bake at 350 blog.