Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- 4 tablespoons instant yeast (divided)
- 1/2 cup water, lukewarm
- 1/2 cup + 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 7/8 cup pineapple juice (room temperature-72-75°F)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, soft
- Swirl hot water in mixing bowl, remove water and add 1 tablespoon yeast, lukewarm water and 1/2 cup flour. Blend well with paddle attachment and cover with plastic until doubled in size. About 30 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons yeast and combine for a minute. Add pineapple juice followed by eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, honey and salt. Place flour on top.
- Using a dough hook mix until dough is elastic and smooth and cleans side of bowl, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount.
- Cover the bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place (top of the refrigerator or in oven which was turned on for a few minutes) and allow the dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl, this will make the dough collapse. This is normal and is required.
- Cut dough in 2 halves and set one half aside. Cut each half in half again and repeat until you have 12 buns. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Shape round and place on a buttered cookie sheet about one inch apart.
- Brush with beaten egg and cover with plastic food wrap. Return to a warm place and allow to rise for about 30-45 minutes or until the rolls have gained about 60% in volume. Meanwhile turn on the oven to 350°F.
- Remove plastic and brush the rolls once more very gently to avoid inflating them. Place in oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes until light golden.
- Allow to cool on pan.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: These directions are for making this dough using a heavy duty stand mixer. Dough can also be kneaded using your hands.