Hazelnut Spiked Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon hazelnut extract
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In large mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until mixture has small bits as well as some pieces around the size of peas. Add sugars and stir well. Add in eggs and extracts, and mix until dough forms, then mix in chocolate chunks, chips and hazelnuts.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Pull out half of dough from the refrigerator and shape into 8 large balls. Do not flatten. Make sure to leave plenty of room between them on cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, then turn pan around and bake an additional 7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool on pan for 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.