Heart Shaped Cherry Hand Pies
- Heat oven to 375°F. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add cherries and sugar to a small saucepan and turn heat to medium. Using a wooden spoon cut cherries in half (or quarters if really large) and stir. Cook for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool while working with pie dough.
- If using store bought pie crust, unroll the pie crust and fold in half. Roll out to about 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick.
- Using a 4-inch heart cookie cutter (or your favorite cookie cutter) cut out heart shape.
- Arrange 5-6 heart shapes on prepared cookie sheet. Using your fingers, brush egg wash along the outside edges of each heart. Then, add about 1 tablespoon of the cherry filling (trying to use as little of the cherry juice as possible) to heart shaped dough. Repeat for each heart.
- Next, take remaining hearts and place on top of filled hearts. Using your fingers, press edges to seal. Using end of a fork, press into the edges of hearts. Brush egg wash on top of each heart and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Julie Deily @TheLittleKitchen.