Heart Shaped Chocolate Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*, plus more for rolling surface
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa, plus more for rolling surface
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together. With an electric mixer, cream sugar with butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, flavoring, and extract. In low speed, add flour/cocoa mixture in 3 additions. Mix until combined, scraping sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Divide dough into two discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Mix together additional flour and cocoa to coat rolling surface, rolling pin, and cookie cutter. Working with one disc at a time, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Reroll scraps and continue to cut shapes. Recoat surface and rolling pin with flour/cocoa mixture as needed.
- Place cut-outs on prepared sheets. Freeze on the sheets for 5 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Let sit on the sheets for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- When completely cooled, spread 1 level teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut spread onto the bottom of half of the cookies. Place another cookie on top to form a “sandwich.”
- Cookies may be refrigerated to let the filling set up to a firmer consistency.
NOTE: Hazelnut flavoring can be found on the extracts/baking aisle. If you cannot find hazelnut, you can substitute vanilla extract.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.