Heart Shaped Frosted Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces (1/2 stick) softened cream cheese
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons pink/red/white sprinkles and/or pink glitter crystals
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In bowl of a large food processor, pulse together flour, salt and powdered sugar until combined. Add butter and vanilla and turn processor on just until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead into a smooth ball. Roll dough out into a disk about 1/2-inch thick and 10-inches in diameter. Tightly wrap the disk in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a 10 x 15 cookie sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper. Remove dough from refrigerator and discard the plastic wrap. Roll dough until it is 1/4-inch thick and cut with heart-shaped cookie cutters. Place cut cookies on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, just until edges begin to brown. The center of cookies will be soft. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool completely on cookie sheet.
- While cookies cool, make frosting. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add one cup of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and milk and continue to mix until smooth. Add in vanilla and mix until combined.
- When cookies are cool, generously spread each with the frosting and then cover with sprinkles as desired.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- If you want your frosting to remain very white, use imitation vanilla; pure vanilla extract will tint it slightly.
- If you would prefer to color your frosting, add a few drops of food coloring when adding the vanilla extract.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.