Hibiscus Lemon Squares
- Hibiscus Tea
- 1 heaping teaspoon hibiscus dried flowers, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cool room temperature, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons, no white bitter pith
- For topping Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pink food coloring, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make hibiscus tea, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Pour over 1 heaping teaspoon dried hibiscus. Let steep for 5 minutes. Strain and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 11x7-inch pan. Set aside.
- To make crust, whisk flour, powdered sugar, and salt together. Add cubed butter and stir. Sprinkle extracts over top. Mix with an electric mixer until butter has broken up in smaller pieces. Press into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare filling. Place a heaping 1/2 teaspoon dried hibiscus flower in measured lemon juice and let sit while preparing the other ingredients.
- Beat eggs and egg whites until lightly mixed. Add sugar and beat until combined. (Hibiscus can turn grey or purple if not mixed in correct order. Be sure to follow these instructions in order.)
- Strain hibiscus-infused lemon juice. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, stir together 1/4 cup hibiscus lemon juice with 1/4 cup hibiscus tea. (You’ll have some of each left over.) Mix into egg/sugar mixture.
- Whisk in flour and salt. Stir in zest. If desired, stir in pink food coloring.
- Pour the mixture over hot crust and return to oven. Bake for 25 minutes more or until the bars are completely set. Cool on a wire rack, then transfer to refrigerator.
- Before serving, sift with generous dusting of powdered sugar. Cut into small squares.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Bars pictured do not contain food coloring. Recipe developed by Bridget Edwards of @Bake at 350.