Hibiscus Shortbread Cookies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- If using bulk hibiscus petals, chop fine or pulse in a small blender until about size of dried tea leaves. If using dried tea, remove from tea bags and measure 1 tablespoon.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter, salt, and powdered sugar until very well combined and lump free, but not until light and fluffy.
- Add hibiscus and once combined add flour and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces. If firm enough to handle roll into 2 cylinders about 9 inches long. If too sticky, place dough briefly in refrigerator.
- Roll dough into granulated sugar and place in freezer for about 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 345°F.
- Cut into 1/2-inch slices and place on buttered or parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Once cookies are defrosted, place in oven and bake about 18 minutes or until edges are pale golden.