Home Style Turkey Stuffin Dressing
- 1 quart homemade turkey broth
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups onion
- 12 large white mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh sage, loose
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- Sweet cornbread crumbled (13 x 9-inch dish)
- Oven toasted bread cubed or torn in pieces (1 regular size loaf)
- Remove bag from inside turkey. Place contents (minus liver) and turkey neck in 1 quart water with 2 tablespoons of salt. Boil until meat pulls away from neck bone easily.
- Wash onions and add to broth until colorless (about 15 minutes), adding more water as necessary to maintain a quart volume. Remove from heat.
- As broth cools, chop sage, mushrooms and celery. Place 1 1/2 sticks of butter, sage and celery in large frying pan and cook until celery is tender.
- In a large bowl combine broth, vegetable mixture, mushrooms and bread/cornbread until everything is moist. Add more salt if needed.
- Just before turkey goes into the oven, stuff mixture into turkey cavity and neck. Do not overstuff. As a general rule, use 3/4 cup stuffing per pound of turkey. Place extra stuffing in greased dish with 1/2 stick butter. Cover with foil, bake at 350°F for at least 45 minutes while baking turkey.
- Remove foil, cook until brown on top.
- Stuffing inside turkey is done with a meat thermometer inserted near center of stuffing in turkey cavity reads 165°F.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Onions and mushrooms can be added at the very end and left out of extra stuffing dish for a kid friendly version.