Homemade Cheddar Crackers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold water
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cayenne pepper and mix until well-blended. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment (or with an electric mixer), combine the cheese, butter and salt and mix until blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour/sugar mixture and mix for 30 seconds on low speed until the flour is mostly incorporated. Slowly add the water, one tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes together. It will be smooth and orange.
- Remove the mixture from the bowl, form into a circle about 1/2-inch thick, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or with silicone liners. Roll the dough into a very thin (1/8-inch) rectangle and cut into 1-inch squares with a scalloped pastry wheel.
- Place, evenly spaced, on the prepared baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes, watching carefully toward the end. They will puff up a bit when done.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.