- Wash lemons with hot water and pat dry.
- Carefully zest lemons with a vegetable peeler taking care that you don't have any pith on the peeler as it is very bitter and will ruin the limoncello.
- Put lemon peels in a clean mason jar and fill jar with vodka. Place a lid on the jar and store in a dark, cool place for at least 10 days and up to 3 weeks.
- After vodka/lemon mixture has sat for determined amount of time, drain off vodka and discard lemon peels.
- Meanwhile, prepare a simple syrup by combing sugar and water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and syrup slightly thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let come to room temperature.
- Stir simple syrup and lemon infused vodka together and then bottle into decorative jars or pint size mason jars.
- Store limoncello in the freezer until ready to use.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.