- 3 cups all-purpose flour* + extra for dusting pan
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature + extra for buttering pan
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, with juices
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups pecans, chopped + 1 cup pecans, chopped for topping
- 18 dried pineapple flowers [see below]
- 6 sticks (48 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pineapple
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make cupcakes, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Mix together butter and both sugars until well combined, add vanilla.
- Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, and pineapples. Mix in milk.
- Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture and until well combined.
- Gently fold in 2 cups chopped pecans.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes cool, prepare frosting. Cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Carefully mix in powdered sugar. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with 1M piping tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Top with half of a pineapple flower (directions below) and chopped pecans.
- Pineapple Flowers: Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Cut off top and bottom of pineapple. Set pineapple upright and slice off sides.
- Thinly slice pineapple crosswise into rounds.
- Dry pineapple slices with paper towel and lay them in a single layer on a wire cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 2-3 hours until dry.
- Place pineapple flowers into the cavity of a muffin pan to create more of a rounded shape and let dry. Cut in half, once dry, and decorate hummingbird cupcakes.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.