Kentucky Apple Stack Cake
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 8 regular sized apples such as Granny Smith
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and sift together. Set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and molasses and mix until well combined and airy. Scrape bowl.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previous to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl well.
- Add flour and buttermilk alternately in about 5 increments, starting with and ending with flour.
- Divide dough in 8 even balls. Press balls flat on a parchment or plastic food film lined cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator or freezer for about 15-30 minutes. Meanwhile turn on oven at 350°F.
- Roll each piece of dough into an 8 or 9 inch diameter round circle. Trim perfectly round using a pizza wheel and a cake pan or dinner plate as your guide.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheets and place in oven. Bake until center of cakes no longer look wet but is still soft, about 11 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare applesauce by combining water and sugar into a pot large enough to hold all apples. Peel apples one at a time, cut in 4 and then cut crosswise into 5-6 pieces. Place in pot and repeat with all apples.
- Bring to a boil and then turn to simmer. While stirring cook for approximately 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Mash apples with a potato masher until no large pieces remain. Let cool.
- Place a baked layer on a serving plate and cover with one seventh of applesauce. Spread evenly.
- Repeat with all layers and applesauce until all is used.
- Wrap cake in plastic food film and place in refrigerator overnight.
- If desired sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Stripe effect in picture was obtained by placing smoothie straws on surface of cake and then sprinkle with powdered sugar.