Key Lime Layer Cake
Key Lime Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil (any type including non-virgin olive oil)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons lime zest, no white bitter pith
Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages cream cheese (16 oz total), soft at room temperature
- 7 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons lime zest, no white bitter pith
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 3, 9-inch cake pans and fit a round sheet of parchment on bottom to make removal from pans flawless.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer or a sturdy hand whisk, mix oil and eggs until completely blended.
- Add buttermilk, water, lime juice, and zest.
- Add sifted ingredients in one step and mix until just combined. Do not mix more than necessary.
- Scrape batter evenly into pans and place in oven. Bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger and until you see the cake retracting from sides in a few areas. About 25-28 minutes.
- Turn baked cake upside down onto plastic food film, a kitchen towel or parchment paper. Do not remove parchment paper from cakes yet.
- Meanwhile prepare cream cheese frosting. If using a mixer, on lowest speed (mixing on medium or high speed will break down cream cheese into a semi liquid consistency) combine soft cream cheese and powdered sugar until well combined. Add soft butter and mix just until blended in. Add vanilla extract and lime zest.
- Place a cake layer on a serving platter and remove parchment paper.
- Spread about 1/5 of frosting onto cake layer.
- Top with another cake layer and remove parchment paper. Repeat with cream cheese frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer and frost cake.
- Place some frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small plain piping tip.
- Pipe frosting into curls all over surface of cake.
- If desired decorate with lime slices.
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.