- 4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise (double it if you love anise)
- 1 cup honey
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fine chopped candied orange peel (optional but very delicious)
- 1 cup whole almonds for decorating cookies
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup fine chopped pistachios (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together all dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a pot large enough to hold all ingredients combine honey, brown sugar, and butter. Place over low heat until mixture feels slightly warmer than lukewarm. Remove from heat.
- Quickly stir in egg, vanilla, and candied orange peel followed by dry ingredients, mix briefly until just combined.
- Press dough flat onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in refrigerator preferably overnight or up to 4 days. If needing to use same day, place in freezer for about 1 hour and transfer to fridge.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Before rolling dough, chill work surface with ice cubes as this will keep dough from sticking as much.
- Dough will stick less when rolled on lightly floured parchment paper. Roll half of chilled dough 1/4-inch thick. If dough gets too soft, return partially rolled dough to freezer and continue rolling when firm.
- Cut dough using preferred cutter. Cut as close as possible to obtain maximum amount of cut outs. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets. If dough gets too soft to cut, return to freezer briefly.
- Before placing in oven, brush off any flour residue on surface of cookies. Decorate with almonds if desired. Place in oven for about 13-15 minutes or until light golden and let cool.
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar and water and brush onto surface of cookies. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios or other nuts if desired.