Lemon Chicken with Sugar Snap Peas
- 4 chicken tenderloins, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (can omit if you prefer no heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 package steamer bag sugar snap peas (cooked according to package directions)
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Sliced green onions to garnish, optional
- Cooked rice, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place chicken into a zip top bag. Sprinkle flour on top. Seal bag and shake to coat. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl combine lemon zest, juice, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, cornstarch, sesame oil, and garlic. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottom Dutch oven (or like) add about 2-inches of oil, heat to 350°F.
- Carefully add chicken and fry until golden and chicken is cooked through. Do this in batches as to not crowd pot. Transfer chicken to a paper towel lined plate.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add liquid ingredients and cook until just thickened stirring frequently. About 1 minute.
- Add cooked chicken and snap peas, toss to coat.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if desired. Serve over cooked rice.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Paula Jones @bellalimento.