Lemon Coconut Pecan Pound Cake
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- Zest of 4 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, sweetened + more for decoration
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 370°F. Butter and flour an 8x4-inch or 9x5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda together and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is very light and fluffy. Add lemon zest and salt.
- Add one third of flour mixture. Once combined add half of orange juice, when smooth add another third of flour. Add remaining orange juice and once combined add remaining flour. Mix in coconut and pecan pieces.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Place in oven and lower heat to 350°F. After being in oven for 45 minutes drape a sheet of buttered aluminum foil gently on surface of pound cake. (Keeps cake from browning too much.)
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 65 minutes for larger loaf pan size and 75-80 minutes for smaller loaf pan. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- For glaze, whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar. Spread on cake and sprinkle with coconut. If desired, coconut can be toasted by placing it in oven and baked at 350°F for about 5-8 minutes.
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.