Lemon Coconut Roulade
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 10x15-inch jelly roll with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time with mixer on medium speed. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until eggs are thick, pale in color, and doubled in volume. It is done when eggs fall into a ribbon and mound before reabsorbing into batter. Add vanilla, lemon juice, and zest.
- Remove bowl from mixer, and fold flour mixture into eggs by hand with a rubber spatula. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. While cake is baking, dust surface of a kitchen towel with powdered sugar. Turn cake out onto sugared towel. Peel off parchment and trim edges of cake. Starting with the short end, roll cake and towel into a log shape. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make frosting, add egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt to bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat until egg whites hold stiff peaks. Turn off mixer and begin sugar syrup.
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine, and add to medium-high heat. Do not stir once on heat. Boil until sugar reaches 245°F on a candy thermometer.
- Turn mixer on low speed. Slowly pour sugar syrup into egg whites. When syrup is fully incorporated, increase speed to high and beat for 7 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy and the outside of the bowl is cool to the touch. Add extracts and mix to combine.
- To assemble cake, gently unroll cake from the towel. Spread a thin layer of lemon curd onto the surface. Top with about 1 cup of frosting. Roll cake back up and transfer to a cake plate. Frost outside of cake with frosting and cover with toasted coconut.