- In a non-reactive saucepan bring lemon juice and 1/2 of sugar to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs for 2 minutes and quickly whisk in remaining sugar. Pour 1/2 of boiling lemon syrup into eggs and beat well.
- Pour egg mixture into remaining lemon syrup and whisk back to a boil. Boil for 1 minute while constantly whisking and mixture has the consistency of thick bubbling honey. Remove from heat and cover with plastic food wrap.
- Mix gelatin with water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add gelatin and stir into above. Once incorporated add SOFT butter in small nuggets and stir with a spatula. If butter was too cold and refuses to dissolve in curd, place in a microwave for a few seconds. Let cool in refrigerator.