Lemon Ginger Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 10 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly soft
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Zest of 3 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift both flours together and set aside.
- Mix butter, salt, powdered sugar, lemon zest, and ginger until very well combined and lump free, but not until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- On parchment paper or plastic food film, press dough into a 9 x 9-inch square (without using flour), if dough sticks too much, cover with plastic food wrap. Making surface super smooth at this point will be hard and is not required. Slide on back of a cookie sheet and place in refrigerator or freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, make surface very even and smooth, dough may slightly expand by doing so. Return to freezer until firm enough to cut in perfect pieces, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 345°F. Cut into 1.5 x 1.5-inch squares or desired shapes and place on lightly buttered cookie sheets or parchment paper.
- Once dough pieces have defrosted place in oven. Bake until edges are pale golden, about 15-18 minutes.
- Once cooled, cover half of cookies with a knife and sprinkle powdered sugar on exposed part.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Rice flour can usually be found in the Asian food section of the supermarket.