Lemon Strawberry Coconut Easter Cake
Lemon Strawberry Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 tablespoon strawberry flavoring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, room temperature
- 3/4 cup orange juice, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes, sweetened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Easter egg candy, as needed
- 2 cups shredded coconut flakes, sweetened
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previous egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Whip until mixture is very light and fluffy. Add lemon zest, strawberry flavor, and salt.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 steps alternating with lemon and orange juice. Fold in coconut.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven. After being in the oven for 45 minutes, drape a sheet of buttered aluminum foil gently on surface of the pound cake. (Keeps cake from browning too much.)
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean. About 75-80 minutes. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Once cake has cooled, whisk lemon zest, lemon juice and powdered sugar to a glaze and brush onto cake.
- Decorate with coconut and Easter eggs.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- Ovens vary in temperature and loaf pan sizes as well, therefore when baking pound cakes trust your baking instinct rather than time.
- Be sure to start with room temperature ingredients to ensure proper creaming of the ingredients.
- This cake is delicious all year round, so just leave off the Easter candy when you want to serve outside of the holidays.