- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- grated zest from one large lemon
- 1 cup buttermilk, sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries or whole fresh raspberries, or whole fresh blueberries
- 1 egg
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- Whisk the flour with the baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and lemon zest until well blended.
- In a separate bowl or a large measuring cup, whisk the buttermilk (or sour cream or yogurt) with the oil, egg and lemon extract until smooth.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture all at once and stir with a large spoon until just moistened. Gently fold in the berries and spoon into standard 2X2-inch muffin cups which have been lined with paper muffin cups or sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 2o minutes or until golden with tops that spring back when lightly pressed with your fingertips.
- Serve hot straight from the oven or cool on racks.
This recipe was originally published in the 1994 March/April edition of the Homemade Good News cookbook series. Volume XIV, No 2.