Lime Mousse with Sweet Dark Cherries
Graham Cracker Layer
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup fully crushed graham crackers
- In a saucepan combine butter and sugar on medium heat and stir until combined.
- Add crushed graham crackers and stir for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- In a non-reactive saucepan, bring lime juice and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs until completely combined. Add 1/4 cup sugar and whisk rapidly until very well combined. Add about half of boiled lime mixture to eggs and whisk rapidly.
- Transfer egg mixture into saucepan that holds remaining boiled lime juice. Whisk vigorously on high heat until mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Place in a bowl large enough to hold whipping cream. Cover with plastic food wrap and set aside until completely cooled.
- Meanwhile sprinkle half of prepared graham cracker mixture onto bottom of 6-8 glasses.
- In a cold bowl whip whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar to soft peaks. Do not whip until stiff enough to decorate pies etc.
- Re-whisk lime mixture until smooth and creamy. Add all whipped cream and using a rubber spatula fold gently until all combined.
- Divide half of mousse among glasses.
- Sprinkle remaining graham crumb mixture into glasses covering the mousse.
- Cover with remaining lime mousse and place in refrigerator.
- Place cherries and all juices in a bowl and add sugar. If desired you may add a touch of almond liquor or almond extract. Place in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve spoon cherries (heated or cold) along with juice into glasses.
- Decorate with a few fresh cherries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.