Little Coconut Kisses
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups + 1/2 cup more for finishing, unsweetened finely shredded or desiccated coconut
- In a large saucepan combine evaporated milk, sugar, butter, and salt. Stir to a boil. (Mixture will bubble profusely while cooking.)
- Constantly stir when mixture boils and adjust heat so it will not overflow edge of saucepan.
- Boil for about 8-10 minutes or until mixture has thickened to the consistency of maple syrup. Remove from heat and add vanilla and 2 cups coconut.
- Let mixture cool.
- Shape into 1 tablespoon or slightly larger balls. Not all brands of coconut absorb the same amount of moisture, so if you find mixture a little dry add a small amount of rum, lime juice, or water.
- Roll in additional coconut and serve.
- Store airtight at room temperature.