Love Letter Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon all purpose flour*
- 7 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (6 oz) container raspberries, optional
- Rolled Fondant
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- Red gel food color
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place 18 cup cake liners (doubling up paper cups will be prettier once baked) into muffin cups.
- Place 2 raspberries in each paper cup.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk egg and buttermilk until well combined. Add oil, vanilla, and salt and whisk smooth.
- Meanwhile heat water until hot.
- Add dry ingredients buttermilk-egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot water in 3 increments, while whisking batter smooth in between additions.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full and place in oven, bake for about 35 minutes or until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Prepare ganache and set aside.
- Roll a small amount of fondant 1/8-inch thick onto a lightly powdered sugared surface. Cut rectangle pieces the size of a credit card.
- Cut 2 corners off the “card” to make it look like the roof of a house. Fold the roof over to make an envelope. Brush off any extra powdered sugar with a pastry brush or a paper napkin.
- Make a small amount of red fondant and chill dough until firm enough to handle.
- Make small balls and press your pinky in the center of the ball; roll it back and forth until center of the ball is thin. Press thicker parts together to create a heart.
- “Glue” hearts onto envelopes by making the spot where the heart will go slightly wet.
- Once ganache has slightly firmed up, pipe or spread ganache onto cupcakes.
- Place a fondant love letter on top of each cupcake.