Low Sugar Lemon Apple Hand Pies
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel apples and cut in quarters. Remove core. Cut each wedge crosswise in about 6 -8 slices.
- Place apples in a small saucepan along with water and lemon juice. Cover and heat to a simmer.
- Cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Near the end of the cooking period, remove the lid to allow liquid to escape.
- If any liquid remains, drain and transfer to a blender. Blend to a puree.
- Add zest and sugar and mix just until combined. Set aside to cool. If you prefer, you can add a touch more sugar.
- Set aside a square or round sharp cutter about 3-inches in diameter.
- Roll half the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut dough into desired shapes and place on cookie sheets.
- In center of each piece of dough, place a generous tablespoon of apple filling.
- Reroll remaining dough to 1/8-inch-thick for the top layer of the hand pie, and cut a few holes in center with a cookie cutter or paring knife to allow steam to escape from filling.
- Brush a tiny bit of water on edges of top dough pieces and flip upside down. This will ensure that the water brushed edge will make contact with bottom dough. Using a fork, gently press edges together all around the hand pie.
- Brush surface with a thin coat of water or beaten egg. Egg will create a more golden surface.
- If desired, sprinkle with a little granulated sugar and place in oven.
- After 15 minutes in the oven reduce the temperature to 375°F and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.