Low Sugar Raspberry Fruit Spread
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen raspberries (or two (6 oz) fresh)
- 1 standard size apple such as Granny Smith, not peeled
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- If using frozen berries defrost them first. If using fresh cut in quarters.
- Leaving the peel on, cut apple in quarters. Remove core. Cut each quarter lengthwise in 2-3 slices and crosswise in 5-6.
- Combine all fruit, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring. After boiling for about 5 minutes remove from heat.
- Use a stick blender or transfer mixture into a blender and mix until apple pieces are completely pureed.
- Return to heat and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Do a test by dropping some of the mixture onto a plate. Once cooled, fruit spread should have consistency as traditional jam.
Due to the reduced sugar content you cannot keep this fruit spread in sterilized jars at room temperature. It is crucial to use an apple in this fruit spread. Apples contain an abundance of pectin, which is a natural thickener and will ensure a perfect set. Don’t worry, you will not be able to taste the apple - only the raspberries.