Macadamia Nut Brittle
- 1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Lightly butter a 9 x 13-inch pan or set aside a silicone baking mat.
- If macadamia nuts are whole, chop coarsely and set aside.
- In a large saucepan stir together sugar, water, and corn syrup. Place a lid on the pan. Once mixture has boiled for 1-minute, remove lid and keep boiling without stirring the mixture. (Stirring will make mixture crystalize.)
- Cook until syrup is golden and a thermometer reads 300°F. Remove from heat.
- Add macadamia nuts, vanilla, butter, and baking soda. The mixture will rise in pan. Once safe to do so, stir together using a wooden or heat resistant spatula. Do not unnecessarily stir mixture as it increases the chances of crystalizing.
- Pour and scrape immediately into buttered pan.
- Using a spatula press and stretch brittle to size of pan.
- Once cooled break in pieces and store airtight.
Was looking for something different and I like the swap of macadamia nuts vs peanuts. Easy recipe.
I followed the instructions very very carefully, however the end result was a crystallised cream coloured mass. It looked off white in the end, though I let the sugar cook until it was a light golden caramel colour. Weird. Perhaps this recipe would benefit from some additional instructions, because I have no idea what I did wrong, however obviously the result looks nothing like the picture. I do have to say though that it may look funny, however it still tastes good, and crumbled up on vanilla ice cream I am sure it will be delicious.
1st time ever baking for Christmas gifts.