Macadamia Nut Chocolate Fudge Pie
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft (for a dairy-free version use vegan butter for baking)
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour or Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by King Arthur Baking Company*
- 2 1/2, 100 gram bars (250 g total) best quality dark chocolate, about 55-58% cocoa
- 1 can (13-14 oz) coconut milk, must be unsweetened and not low fat
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup water (use 1/2 cup for a softer fudge) part of water can be replaced with macadamia liquor or coffee liquor
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pinch salt (omit if using lightly salted macadamias)
- 1 cup raw macadamias non salted or lightly salted
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Sift flour and add in one step. On lowest speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area where you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Set aside a 9-inch-deep pie pan and preheat oven to 385°F.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour/gluten-free flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie pan. Place dough into place and remove excess.
- Prick bottom of pie shell with a fork. Place in oven, using pie weights or beans is not necessary.
- After 4-5 minutes of baking check pie. If bubbles are forming prick again with a fork. If a small area of sides have collapsed, press it back up. Bake until pie shell is pale golden, about 13 minutes.
- For filling, chop chocolate in pea-size pieces and place in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Pour coconut milk and water in a saucepan with sugar. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour onto chocolate. Whisk smooth. Add vanilla and salt.
- Before proceeding ensure that pie crust has completely cooled. Pour filling into prebaked crust and place in refrigerator. Filling will take at least 4 hours to set.
- For macadamia nuts, place water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium heat. Add macadamia nuts and keep stirring using a heat resistant spatula until sugar syrup evaporates and starts to cling onto macadamias.
- Reduce heat to low and keep stirring until coated macadamias start to obtain spots of caramelized sugar.
- Scatter onto parchment paper to cool. Once cooled place in a plastic food bag and set aside.
- Just before serving, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla to firm peaks. Place in a piping bag fitted with a large pastry tube and decorate edges of pie.
- Scatter macadamias onto pie and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- Pie pans vary in depth, for this dessert, select a pie pan which can hold 5 cups of water.
- This recipe has been tested with successful results using Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by King Arthur Baking Company.