Macaron Ice Cream or Sorbet Sandwiches
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Set aside 2-3 cookie sheets lined with silicone baking mats or lined with parchment paper.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 1/2-inch (Ateco 806) plain round pastry tip and set aside.
- Combine almond flour/meal, powdered sugar, and salt in a food processor and mix until almond flour feels super fine. Set aside.
- In a bowl whip egg whites and granulated sugar to very stiff peaks.
- Stop whipping and immediately add food color and almond meal mixture. Using a rubber spatula mix until batter is smooth, but do not over mix to avoid making batter too runny. The batter should appear like thick pancake batter.
- Fill pastry bag with filling and pipe into mounds approximately 1.5-inch in diameter (they will spread more) therefore keep one inch of space in between.
- Allow macarons to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before placing in oven. However, if you notice that macarons are still spreading and not holding their shape, place immediately in oven.
- Bake for about 22-25 minutes or until you can lift one up from the baking sheet without tearing it apart. If you see golden or light brown color develop on surface they are completely done.
- Meanwhile make ice cream or sorbet.
- For ice cream line a 10x10-inch square pan with plastic food wrap and place in the freezer. Bring to a boil milk, sugar, and salt and remove from heat. Add whipping cream and vanilla and place mixture in freezer for nearly an hour or until very cold. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Spread ice cream smoothly into pre-chilled pan and freeze until hard.
- For sorbet, line a 10X10-inch pan with plastic food wrap and place in freezer.
- Defrost raspberries and keep all juices that will seep out. To speed things up, defrost them in a microwave oven. Set aside.
- Place defrosted berries and any juices in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Press mixture thru a sieve to remove seeds.
- Bring sugar, honey, and water to a boil. Let cool completely. (Can be done in freezer.)
- Measure exactly 2 cups of puree (use any remaining puree for flavoring sparkling water or tea).
- Whisk together 2 cups of puree with sugar syrup and place in an ice bath to make mixture as cold as possible. This is very important as it will make churned sorbet firmer.
- Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Spread sorbet into chilled pan and freeze until hard.
- Using a round cutter, cut ice cream or sorbet in circles of same size as macarons and turn into ice cream/sorbet sandwiches.