Malted Shortbread Chocolate Dipped Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, malted milk powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together granulated sugar, butter, and cream cheese till light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and egg, beat till well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture, beating until smooth. Transfer dough to a large piping bag with a large closed star tip attached.
- Pipe pipe 1.5-inch inch wide cookies, making sure to set them two inches apart from one another for a little spreading.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are ever so slightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl according to package instructions. Dip cookies half way in chocolate and return to lined cookie sheets to allow chocolate to harden. (To speed up chocolate hardening process, feel free to place cookies in fridge for 10-15 minutes.)
- Dust chocolate halves of cookies with cocoa powder or extra malted milk powder.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.