Mango Meringue Pie
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2-3 large ripe mangoes
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 envelope gelatin
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 large egg whites, no yolk traces
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lime, no white bitter pith (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar until completely smooth. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough flat and into an 8-inch circle onto a sheet of plastic food film Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for about 20 minutes or until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, for easy rolling of dough, place a cookie sheet filled with ice cubes on work surface where you will be rolling dough.
- Sprinkle dough with flour and roll into a circle large enough to cover pie pan. Press dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Prick dough with a fork on bottom and sides and place in oven. After about 5 minutes baking, ensure that dough is not puffing up in any areas. If so, prick with a fork. Bake until dough is light golden, about 8-10 minutes more. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Peel 2 mangoes. Cut around pit and place in blender. Blend to very smooth consistency. Measure to obtain 2 3/4 cup mango puree. If needed, use third mango.
- Pour in a bowl large enough to hold remaining ingredients and stir in sugar. Either in a microwave oven or over double boiler, heat mango puree until it almost feels lukewarm or a thermometer registers about 110°F. Set aside.
- Mix gelatin and water in a small microwave-proof cup and set aside.
- Whip cream to soft, not quite medium peaks. Certainly, do not whip stiff as you would for decorating pies or cakes.
- Place gelatin mixture in microwave oven for about 7 seconds. If completely melted whisk into mango puree, otherwise heat for just a few seconds more. Do not boil.
- Add whipped cream and fold together. Make certain baked pie shell is completely cool before transferring mixture into it. Place in refrigerator.
- For meringue, place egg whites and sugar in a mixer bowl and whisk continuously over low simmering water until very warm or reaches 145°F. Remove from heat and whip until stiff peaks form, about 5-8 minutes. Add salt, vanilla, and lime zest.
- Spread onto filling and place under preheated broiler for just a few seconds. Place in refrigerator for several hours before serving.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Note: Use well ripened mangoes for best results.