Maple Walnut Pie
- 4 cups walnuts (halves and pieces)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar or Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour* or 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Sift flour and add in one step. On lowest speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Set aside a 9-inch-deep pie pan and preheat oven to 385°F. (Pie pans vary in depth, for this dessert, select a pie pan which can hold 7 cups of water).
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour/gluten-free flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie pan. Place dough into place and remove excess.
- Prick bottom of pie shell with a fork. Place in oven, using pie weights or beans are not necessary.
- After 4-5 minutes of baking check pie. If bubbles are forming prick again with a fork. If a small area of sides have collapsed, press it back up. Bake until pie shell is pale golden, about 13 minutes.
- Place walnuts in pre-baked shell.
- For filling, in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs until well blended. Add maple syrup and once smooth, add brown sugar. Whisk thoroughly together.
- Add melted butter, flour, salt, and vanilla.
- Pour filling into shell covering walnuts.
- Place in oven and bake until center of pie no longer trembles. If center of pie slightly rises, it is a sign that it is completely baked (almost slightly overdone). If edges of crust get too dark during baking process, cover entire pie with aluminum foil. Total baking time is about 60-65 minutes.
- For cream border, whip whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla to firm peaks and pipe a border of cream on edge of room temperature or chilled pie.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- This pie is very nut-dense. If you prefer a higher custard to nuts ratio, reduce quantity of nuts by 1 cup.
- For gluten-free crust, this recipe has been successfully tested with Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by King Arthur Baking Company.
- Do not replace brown sugar with additional maple syrup as pie will not properly set.
- Pecans can be substituted for walnuts at a 1:1 ratio.