Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
Maraschino Cherry Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups, divided Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup juice from maraschino cherries
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Maraschino cherries for topping, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract, whisking until there are no lumps.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, until batter is smooth. Fold in chopped maraschino cherries.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Using a stand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in half of powdered sugar.
- Add juice from maraschino cherries and almond extract and beat until well combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth. If the icing is too stiff, add a little juice from maraschino cherries.
- Transfer icing into a pastry bag with a small tip. Pipe onto top of cupcakes and finish with a maraschino cherry.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments