- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and set aside. (If a pastry bag is not available, merenguitos can also be spooned onto cookie sheets.)
- Whip egg whites and first listed sugar to very stiff peaks. Add salt and stop whipping.
- Add second listed sugar and gently fold using a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Fill pastry bag with meringue and pipe large rosettes onto cookie sheets. If using a spoon drop two tablespoon amounts onto paper.
- Sprinkle generously with unsweetened coconut. (Sweetened coconut may brown too quickly!)
- Place in oven until merenguitos are very crisp. A good way to determine doneness is to break open a meringue and allow to cool for 2 minutes. If the interior feels dry and is not sticky it is done. If not return to oven.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- If during baking merenguitos starts to lightly brown reduce oven temperature immediately by 20 degrees. Many ovens reading are incorrect.
- Meringue will not set in a humid kitchen. Please prepare accordingly.
- For more tips on how to make meringues, check out the Meringues and Divinities Fluffy Holiday Favorites Sweetalk Blog article.