Mexican Chocolate Fudge
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups very best quality chocolate chips (50-60% cacao) or 18 ounces best quality chocolate (50-60% cacao)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder for sprinkling surface of fudge
- Spread a thin layer of oil into an 8 x 8-inch pan. Press a sheet of plastic food wrap tightly onto oil and pressing well into corners. Set aside.
- If using chocolate bar, chop chocolate into pea size pieces and set aside in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan bring sugar and water to a full boil. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour onto chopped chocolate, add butter and gently stir until no chocolate lumps remain. Add vanilla extract and spices and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan and place in a refrigerator. Let sit for 2 hours.
- Lift fudge out by pulling on plastic. Cut into squares. Sprinkle with cocoa powder. Keep refrigerated.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Best quality chocolate will always give excellent results in candy and fudge making. Less expensive chocolate will not give the desired smooth result. Using chocolate with less than 50% cocoa mass will result in fudge that is too sweet.