Millionaire Shortbread Bars
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9 x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil that hangs over sides. Set aside.
- For crust mix butter, brown sugar, and salt until lump free. Mixture does not have to be light and fluffy, but no butter lumps can remain.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla. Once combined, add flour and mix just until dough forms.
- Press dough into pan into an even layer. Place in oven and bake about 20 minutes or until surface is light golden. Set aside.
- For caramel layer, in a heavy bottom saucepan combine sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup.
- Using a rubber spatula continuously stir over low-medium heat until mixture starts pulling away from sides or an inserted thermometer reads 225°F. This mixture very easily scorches on bottom, so it’s important to find right heat setting for your personal speed of stirring. If you end up with light scorched particles, you can run mixture through a sieve at end of cooking process. Add vanilla and salt.
- Pour onto pre-baked crust and allow to completely cool.
- For chocolate layer, chop chocolate in small pieces. Not required if using chips. Place in a microwave safe bowl along with oil. Heat in 10 second increments. Once 3/4 of chocolate has melted stop heating mixture. Keep stirring until all chocolate lumps are gone.
- Pour onto surface of cooled caramel. Let firm for 1 hour before cutting in desired size.