Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 recipe Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups dark raisins
- 1 cup apricots, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- Zest of 1 orange (no white bitter pith)
- Zest of 1 lemon (no white bitter pith)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 medium/large Granny Smith apples (add several days later)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (add several days later)
- In a non-reactive bowl combine all mincemeat ingredients except for butter and apples. Place in a refrigerator for 3 days or up to several weeks.
- For first 2 days of maceration, once or twice a day, toss all ingredients to ensure dried fruits will evenly absorb liquor.
- On day you will bake pie, roll half of dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle and until it is large enough to cover a 9-inch pie pan. Keep remaining dough in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and cut apples in 4 wedges. Remove core. Cut each wedge lengthwise in 5 slices. Cut crosswise in about 7 cuts.
- Place apples and mincemeat filling in food processor. Melt and add butter. Pulse just a few times until fruits are still chunky, but are sticking together. Transfer into pie shell and level evenly.
- Roll remaining dough about 1/10-inch thick and cover.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a design into pie dough. Cuts can, but do not have to, go through dough.
- Brush surface lightly with water (do not use egg wash) and sprinkle with a thin even layer of granulated sugar.
- Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until surface of dough is well browned.